No heat required.
How good does that sound?
As summer kicks into high gear, the last thing I want to do is add heat. These cool Strawberry Basil Tarts deliver flavor and freshness, without turning on the oven.
Have you seen fillo (or phyllo) shells in the freezer section of the grocery store? Prebaked, they make a super simple dessert, that looks better than “super simple” might imply.
Peak flavors in peak season
Too often, desserts look better than they taste. Not these. Juicy strawberries, fresh basil ribbons, and lime zest are peak-season summery ingredients that make the tarts as pretty as they taste. But let’s not stop at strawberries. For other combinations, think about chopped peaches with crystallized ginger, or sliced bananas, chopped nuts, and a chocolate drizzle, or toasted coconut.
…even better is the creamy filling is actually good for you. A blend of yogurt, ricotta cheese and a smidgen of powdered sugar and lime zest, no one will know that this dessert helps build bones and lower blood pressure because of the calcium-rich ingredients.
Even more cool is that this yogurt-ricotta filling is versatile. I tried it on French toast with strawberries. Good. Dipped orange slices in it. Yummy. Next up? Apple slices.
All this is in a bite-sized sweet. And no cooling rack required. Yay!
I’m a new member of The Recipe Redux. This taste-rules group is right up my alley because they believe healthier eating should always taste delicious. The fun part is that each month features a theme. This challenge was focused on pies. I’ll share links so you can see how I and my fellow Recipe Reduxers develop recipes based on the theme-of-the-month. In the meantime, I hope you’re making time for summer fun.
Yogurt fans may also like my Orange Cranberry Tart.
P.S. Want more tips and recipes? Sign up for my newsletter on the right side of the website…over there →
Strawberry Basil Tarts
Strawberry Basil Yogurt Tarts
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 12 tarts
- Category: Dessert
- 5 medium strawberries, cut into 1/4 dice
- 2 leaves fresh basil, chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/8 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 grinds fresh black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- prebaked mini fillo shells
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries, basil, lime zest, and pepper. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine yogurt, ricotta, and powdered sugar. Stir to blend. Refrigerate until ready to assemble tarts.
- In each shell, spoon a teaspoon or two of yogurt cream. Top with strawberries.
- The shells absorb moisture so become soggy over time. Best to fill close to serving time. Baking the empty shells will enhance the crispiness. Be sure they cool to room temperature before filling.