Turkey Kale White Bean Soup is quick to fix comfort food. Full of fiber and flavor, it’s ready in 30 minutes. This easy, hearty soup is a recipe perfect for winter.
How to make Turkey Bean Soup
This is an easy recipe. Cook onions until softened and brown ground turkey, add kale and seasonings, pour in liquid. Cook until kale is tender. It all comes together in about 30 minutes.
- Kale: is high in cancer-fighting compounds and vitamin A. It can be a tough green to like because the older it is, the tougher and the stronger flavor it has. Cooking mellows that so it’s great in a soup.
- Beans: Canned beans are convenient, budget friendly and a top fiber source. Navy, cannellini, lima, use what you like.
- Turkey: sausage or ground works in this recipe. Store a pound in the freezer for convenience.
- Onion and garlic provide beneficial plant compounds
- Spices and seasonings bring flavor and help keep extra salt down. A splash of vinegar brightens the soup.
The home cook in me likes that:
- most ingredients can be stored in freezer or pantry, so this is a go-to dinner solution.
- it’s ready in about 30 minutes.
- it freezes well, so another meal is ready when tie is short.
- It goes well with cornbread 😉
Best socks…when they are necessary
Spoons and socks = soul food
- APPRECIATE…what you have, what you can give back and what you have received from others. Like a spoon.
- CONNECT…with others. Good people give you energy. Invite friends to do something or call a friend to catch up. Eating together is even better. I checked in with Sheila, the spoon giver, when I was writing this to show her how I photographed and used her spoon.
- ENJOY…what makes you feel light and open. Don’t miss the moment—be it a sunset, a compliment or a smile, like a great bite of food. Like a bowl of soup.
Kale Turkey Bean Soup
Kale Turkey Bean Soup is a hearty soup that is easy to make and quick to fix comfort food. Full of fiber and flavor, it’s ready in 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: stove
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 16-ounces ground turkey
- 10–12-ounces chopped kale, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- dash dried red chile flakes
- 32-ounces broth, chicken or vegetable
- 3 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained (navy, cannellini or other white bean works)
- 2 tablespoons red or apple cider vinegar
- Soup: In a large pan over medium heat, heat oil and onion. Cook onion until softens, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, cook one minute, stirring regularly. Add turkey and cook, stirring occasionally to break it up into large crumbles, until it browns, about 10 minutes. Add kale, thyme, chile flakes, broth, and water, bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to low, add beans, simmer the soup (some bubbling of the liquid) until kale is tender, about 10 minutes. Add vinegar, stir, heat through.
Collard greens, Swiss Chard or spinach may be substituted for the kale. If the stems seem tough, trim them before cooking. Spinach cooks faster than kale, so when it softens, it’s done.
The soup freezes well.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 255
Keywords: hearty soup, easy soup, bean soup, kale soup
My website contains some affiliate links. That means if you click through on a link I may earn income from the seller, not the buyer, you. My intent is to be a resource for you. I only refer to products that I support and use. All of the food photos are my own, unless otherwise stated. If you’d like to use one, please seek my permission first. The content of the website and blog are copyrighted.
Shop the post
Making soup? Walking your dog? You may like these.